“The Social Habit”-Studie wird herausgegeben von den amerikanischen Firmen Edison Research and Arbitron und ist Teil einer Längsschnitt-Studie zu Medien-Nutzung in den USA. Dies sind die wichtigstigen Ergebnisse, die im wesentlichen auch die Trends weltweit widerspiegeln (mobile Nutzung, location-based), wobei ein interessanter Fakt darunter ist, nämlich dass Facebook am ehesten genutzt wird, um mit Unternehmen in Kontakt zu treten:
- Social Media now reaches the majority of Americans 12+, with 52% having a profile on one or more social networks.
- This figure is driven largely by Facebook, which is now used by over half (51%) of Americans 12+.
- Twitter is as familiar to Americans as Facebook (with 92% and 93% familiarity, respectively); however, Twitter usage stands at 8% of Americans 12+.
- Approximately 46 million Americans 12+ now check their social media sites and services several times every day.
- Much of this frequent usage is driven by mobile access. 56% of frequent social network users own smartphones, and 64% of frequent social networkers have used a mobile phone to update their status on one or more social networks.
- Location-based sites and services (such as Foursquare and Facebook Places) are familiar to 30% of Americans 12+, and used by 4% of Americans 12+.
- One in four social network users knowingly follow brands, products or services on social networks. For those who use these sites and services several times per day, this figure increases to 43%.
- Amongst those who do follow brands, products or companies on social networks, 80% indicate that Facebook is the network they use the most to connect with companies.
- Nearly a quarter of social network users indicated that Facebook is the social site or service that most influences their buying decisions. No other site or service was named by more than 1% of the sample, and 72% indicated that no one social site or service influenced their buying decisions the most.